BALA ESAR CASTLE- A historical place exits in the capital city of the land – Afghanistan
The Bala Hissar or High Fortress was the ancient seat of power at Kabul dating back to the 5th century AD. It was located south of the city overlooking the houses and bazaars from a commanding height. In July 1879, having negotiated the Treaty of Gandamak with the new Amir Yakub Ali, whereby the presence of a British Resident in Kabul was agreed to, Sir Louis Cavagnari arrived to take up the post.
Just two months later in the volatile atmosphere, he and his mission were killed by Afghan troops and the Residency was sacked. It was obvious that despite the treaty the Afghan war was far from over, and the troops from the first part of the campaign begun in 1878 were recalled to take Kabul in a second phase. General Roberts and his soldiers occupied the city and the fortress was partially destroyed by them in retaliation for the killing of the British Resident.